It is pretty simple to do. Here are the steps:
- Make sure that your email messages are very generic.
- Send them out too frequently.
- Add people to your list that haven’t asked.
- Include everyone in the “To:” or “CC:” fields.
- Write really long email messages.
Since I’m “in the biz,” I frequently stay subscribed just to see what businesses are doing, so I am much more tolerant.
Here are a few basic tips to keep your email marketing campaigns actually working for you.
- Ask for permission before adding people to your email list.
- Customize the messages to each person, if even just a little bit.
- Adjust the frequency of your messages so that you don’t bug people.
- When writing the message, give shorter snippets of the story and link to your blog or your website for further reading. Do not include the entire story in the email message.
And on another topic entirely, make sure that your “news” is in an RSS feed.